Posted in IDT Energy by admin |
Everyone needs as many ways as possible of saving energy and reducing their heating bills during the winter months. Irrespective of which service provider you are using – IDT Energy or any of the others out there – it is always smart to find ways to save on utility bills.
Now, there are many easy ways to do this. One such way is through the installation of eclipse curtains since around a third of all home heating loss is caused through less-than-protected windows. Energy is lost this way as the insulation value of windows anyway is the lowest of any other insulator in the home so they do not protect from outside winds as much as doors, ceilings, etc. Thus, using eclipse curtains is a real way to make a great saving on utility bills; check it out for saving on your energy bills.
Posted in IDT Energy, savings by admin |
Summer has finally hit New York in its full blown fury, and IDT Energy is back again with some simple but effective ways to help families, businesses and consumers of all kinds save money.
Try out some of these ideas and keep cool while keeping your money in your pockets:
1. Whenever possible use natural ventilation to cool down your house, especially on cooler nights with a breeze blowing.
2. Try curtains, blinds and other window dressings to keep out the heat and keep in the cooler, air-conditioned air you paid so much money to acquire.
3. Keep the thermostat as high as is comfortable, and use a programmable thermostat whenever possible.
4. Ceiling fans are a low-cost way to keep the breeze blowing.
5. Insulate or install energy saving windows, skylights and doors.
IDT Energy wishes New Yorkers a cool, comfortable and money saving summer.
Posted in Electricity, IDT Energy, savings by admin |
Whether you use IDT Energy or another electric company, these simple tips can go a long way in lowering your monthly energy bill:
• Replace regular incandescent light bulbs with CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs), and save up to 75% of lighting costs
• Be sure to unplug electronics when they are not in use. These include microwaves, televisions and battery chargers. Together, the phantom power used could power your refrigerator!
• When you can, do the wash in cold water. At least 85% of energy used for the machine goes to water heating.
• Only run your laundry and dishwasher when they are fully loaded.
• Monitor your dryer’s outside vent and be sure to remove lint whenever necessary. If you are shopping for a new dryer, look for one with a moisture sensor.
• If you shop for new appliances, buy ones that are ENERGY STAR qualified. These are 40% more efficient.
Many people look at the big picture when it comes to energy conservation, but they don’t always realize the big differences that small changes can make. Certainly, switching energy providers and using a company like IDT Energy can save you money. Here are some interesting tips about saving energy with your freezer.
- Keep your freezer at -18 degrees Celsius. For each degree that you go lower than this, the freezer uses 2% more electricity.
- Keep that freezer stocked! A full freezer actually operates more efficiently than does an empty one.
- Make sure that the door is sealed tightly and securely.
- Keep a space of 5cm around your freezer on all sides so that the heat can circulate away from the compressor and condensing coil.
- If you’re in the market for a new freezer, shop for one that is ENERGY STAR qualified or for a smaller chest freezer.
Finally, make sure to do proper maintenance on your freezer. This means that it needs annual cleaning and defrosting. If, prior to the annual cleaning, you see that ice is building up on the inside of the unit to more than ¼ inch, you should also defrost it at that time.